Charles T. Low

Default B-W Velvet Drive clunking

Jim,

Your several message in this thread so far are much appreciated. I'm not
exactly visualizing everything just yet, but then I have no idea what these
things look like inside. (How do you?) Spool valves, pumps, relief valves,
heat exchangers, front adapter, clutches and reverse clutches, hydraulic
circuits - but I do find it all very intriguing!

Testing pressure - as in screw a manometer of some type into the 3/8 plug
hole? A manometer of _what_ type? Prob'y easier to ask mechanic to do it for
me.

When I had a new shaft made a few seasons back, it was built twice (at a
machine shop) because mechanic wasn't happy with tolerances first time.
Finally got it to 4/1000, I think, and then 7/1000 installed but this was
out of the water. Mechanic said that was a little over tolerance, but that
it all slid together so effortlessly that he considered that a very good
sign, and opined that fiddling with it further would probably not be
advantageous. Sort of "the enemy of 'good' is 'perfect'" philosophy. Anyway,
it seems fine - there was minimal perceptible vibration with the original
shaft, same now. I've had my hand on the stuffing box while someone else
piloted the boat, up on plane (16 knots - whee!!!), and it's as smooth as
silk (if that means anything).

Thanks again.

====

Charles T. Low
- remove "UN"
www.boatdocking.com/BDPhoto.html - Photo Contest
www.boatdocking.com
www.ctlow.ca/Trojan26 - my boat

====

"Jim Kelly" wrote in message
When you move the selector to forward or reverse, the spool valve directs

the
fluid to the proper clutch. There should be at least 120 PSI present at

the
spool valve in all selector positions. The internal pump is actually

capable of
much higher pressure but it is regulated by a relief valve built into the

end of
the spool valve. The relief valve directs fluid to the heat exchanger.

There
are test ports for checking the pressure. Remove the 3/8 plug on the top

of the
case next to the port leading out to the heat exchanger. Warm and idling

you
should read at least 120 PSI in all selector positions.

To check reverse pressure, there is a smaller plug either next to the 3/8

plug
or on the front adapter on the top of the case depending on the vintage

(some
models have both plugs in which case you can use either). Warm and idling

in
reverse, you should again read a minimum of 120 PSI. This verifies that

the
reverse clutches in the front of the transmission are receiving full apply
pressure.

There is no separate test port for forward apply pressure since the

hydraulic
circuit for forward is through the center of the shafts and not the case

as it
is in reverse. If you have the specified pressure at the 3/8 test port

while in
forward, it is pretty safe to assume that the forward clutches are

receiving
full apply pressure due to the design of the circuit.