Doug

"RW Salnick" wrote in message
DARN! I have been asking about the soft-start issue for a long time,
and this is the first answer I have gotten, and it is the wrong way for

me.

I had never heard of ComNav before this message, so I did a Google
search on it - got some mixed reviews... I will post a new message to
this group asking for opinions...

GOGO Gadget wrote:
Bob,

We have done this in the past with the help of John at the JRJ Group,
which I think is near you. They are the ComNav Distributor in US
360-571-5835.We used a kit he recommended which was easy to install.

Some Issues you should be aware of.
1. The Raymarine electronics are only rated for 15 AMPS and will not
drive (for very long ) the Benmar drive.
2. The Raymarine unit has a "Soft start" PWM output so driving the
relays could be a problem when the voltage to the relays is below the
hold voltage.
3.You will need to install a Rudder feedback.
4. The Comnav unit we are using (NX2 electronics)has a limit you set so
the limit switches are not needed.
5.The ComNav Pilot is much better at steering than the Ray unit we had
on another boat plus it was less expensive.

This was all pretty painless and has worked for 2 years.
Gadget

We sell alot of ComNav, along with Raymarine autopilots. One nice feature
about ComNav rudder follower units is they have a kit available to rebuild
them in the field. My boss just did a couple of these on commercial fishing
boats last month.
73
Doug K7ABX