NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
NOYB wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message
Don White wrote:
Harry Krause wrote:
Maybe NOYB will open a B&B to make ends meet.

Wonder if he'd throw in use of his boat? I wouldn't mind getting
some Florida sun in January or February.
There is a place in the upper to middle keys that does that. It's an
ok older motel right on the water, with a good restaurant and the use
of a whaler skiff and outboard is included. The beauty of the place is
that the "offshore reef" is about a half-mile offshore, and that's as
far as you have to go to catch some damned nice fish. I stayed there
for a few days about five years ago. Nice beach, too.
I lived down here for 4 1/2 years before I went to the Keys. I don't
know what I was thinking. I finally "discovered" them this year, and
have been there twice already since Memorial Day...and I'm going back
in 3 weeks. I realized that if I want to head out to deep water to
catch pelagics, it's cheaper and easier to put the boat on the trailer
and drive 3 hours to the Keys with boat in tow. I can be in deep water
off Islamorada in 3 1/2 hours...which is the same time it would take to
run my 25' boat out 110 miles off Naples to reach the 100 fathom mark.
And the fuel spent on the Keys trip is 1/5th what I'd spend running to
the deep water over here.

A better alternative yet, is running across the Alley and launching at
Miami Haulover or Port Everglades. This area is great for snook,
tarpon, grouper, jewfish, sharks, redfish, cobia, and snapper, but if
you want pelagics (dolphin, tuna, billfish) you need to run across to
the East coast or Keys.

I have a friend who launches his Whaler out of Haulover. He lives just
south of there, across the bridge, in Bal Harbour, one or two condos
down from that bridge on the ocean side. When I'm down there, he lets me
borrow the Whaler. You sure don't have to go far out of Haulover to
catch some really nice fish.

It's a sloppy inlet on an outgoing tide and an onshore wind, though.

It's fun watching the inlet water wash up onto the little jetty on the
north side and the retaining wall on the other side. I've seen a few
slower boats get into trouble there.

When I went through it, I was in my 17' Outrage. The boat ahead of me was a
25' Proline and took a wave right over the bow. I trimmed the bow way up,
and jumped through a lull in the waves.

Were you aware there is a nudist beach at the north end of the park there,
or at least there was?

Yes. While tying the boat down in the parking lot for the trip back to
Naples, a couple of guys in G-string banana hammocks went strolling through
the parking lot. Following them was a group teenage kids whistling at them
and hootin' and hollerin'. Any curiosity that I may have had to walk across
the street and take a look left me at that moment.

Good place to buy and fly kites, too.

If you go back to the area, ask someone for directions to the Little
Havana Cuban restaurant, which is only a couple miles from there, a bit
south, and across the causeway. Great authentic Cuban food, pretty
reasonable. It's on Biscayne Boulevard. Good selection of beers, too.
It's a family restaurant; always lots of Cuban families there with kids.
We were in the front dining room one evening and got invited to join an
anniversary party at the next table.

I trailer the boat when I head over there...so stopping to park and eat is
not an option.