DSK

You think retirees with less income than they had when working, who are
looking for less expense, less driving, and closer care, are going to buy
increasingly expensive & expansive homes?

NOYB wrote:
I think you don't have a clear understanding of the average Naples retiree's
financial situation. Less expense isn't exactly a top priority to someone
worth $10, 50 or 100 million.

1,400 properties sold in Collier County for more than $1 million from
January through August of this year.

What that tells me is that the people who are going to make money are
the people who 1- sell those homes and collect commission (and the
appraisers, insurers, etc etc)
2- bought into the market several years ago.

Buying into a hot market because it's going up like a rocket is not
generally how one makes a large profit. Not in the stock market, not in
a crap game, and not in real estate.

The fact that real estate has run up far faster than inflation over the
past few years is a good indication that 1- inflation is going to pick
up (after all housing costs are a big part of the consumer spending
"basket")
2- it is *less* likely to outpace inflation over the coming years
(nothing goes up & up & up forever & ever..

I currently put away $25,000+ per year in qualified pension plans...and have
done so since 1999.

That's a good move. Of course, it really depends on having a gov't that
doesn't simply confiscate wealth from people who were wise enough to
save up (ie a very different gov't from the one we have now).

Water access is very difficult down here. If we had adequate ramps and
marinas, I'd be living in a less expensive house inland.

So, if boating is important to you, move to place where marinas are cheaper.

The most important vote is cast with one's feet.

DSK