Harry Krause

Default Worlds Most Powerfull 4 stroke OB

K Smith wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:
K Smith wrote:

Bill Sc wrote:

As far as I know all outboards are "stood on end" (crankshaft needs to point
down). Seems like all the 4 strokes would need dry sump or a weird oil pan.

Not "quite" all :-) But yes agreed. However "if" & it's still an if, it
is based on that GM engine then there would be some things to be
addressed, not just moving the oil pickup & having the "sump" at the bottom.

Why don't you just list in standard English

Gotta love it an totally uneducated union spruiker yank asking for
standard English!!! what a hoot from the liar:-)

You want to compare writing skills? Go for it.

all of the "some things to
be addressed," and we'll ask Mercury.

Well the early hondas had a few problems with cam sealing, the top
wasn't getting enough & the bottom too much so seals didn't just fail
but at the top particularly cut into the shaft by being too dry.

That's Honda, maybe. You intimated there were "some things to be
addressed" with the Mercury engine. What are the problems with the new
Mercury engine.

Already mentioned the loss of prime thing but that's probably OK now

Is that a problem with the new Mercury engine? The one no one in
Australia has seen?

Some of the early 4 strokes tended to corrode out what is effectively
the sump. (hot salt water being blasted by exhaust seems the eat through
very quickly)

Yes, well, isn't that nice. But is that a problem with the new Mercury
engine? After all, Mercury does have some knowledge of corrosion
protection, eh?

In my case being a diesel the concerns were about oil getting past the
rings into the chamber, always a serious thing in diesels. They have oil
sprayers under the pistons so there's always plenty there.

That's nice. What does that have to do with the new Mercury four stroke
gasoline engine?

With the cyls to stern if a boat were very stern low trimmed at rest (as
many OB craft are let alone with well over 600lbs of diesel OB
attached:-)) then they were worried residual lube oil might get flowed
"down" into the chambers.

That's a terrible problem..,but how does it relate to the new Mercury
outboard?

Well as I said under the tutelage of GM they should be pretty right, but
as we all now know they were pretty hopeless when it came to Optimax &
gees louise that was the Aussies:-)

Mercury builds many high-output engines for the automakers. Merc also
successfully marinizes GM engines. You didn't know that? I expect that
if this was a cross-pollinization effort between Merc and GM, both
companies learned from each other.

All this is predicated upon them using that particular GM block as the
base engine, given the weight etc it seems likely?? Anyone confirm??

That possibility was talked about more than a year ago, but I haven't
seen any confirmation. However, the straight-six engine Merc is using
for this outboard turns 6400 rpm, and if it is a GM-based product, that
certainly would make it an unusual one, since, as far as I know, GM
doesn't have a gas block engine in straight six format that turns
anywhere near that. So, if it were a block of GM origin, it would have
to be totally re-engineered, eh?

My summation: you know nothing about the new Merc outboard, nothing at
all, but you want to appear in the know. Now, I expect, you'll spend
some hours searching out some crumbs of information, translate them into
your semi-literate non-standard English, and claim them as your own.

--
Email sent to is never read.