K Smith

Default Worlds Most Powerfull 4 stroke OB

Harry Krause wrote:
K Smith wrote:

Bill Sc wrote:

As far as I know all outboards are "stood on end" (crankshaft needs to point
down). Seems like all the 4 strokes would need dry sump or a weird oil pan.

Not "quite" all :-) But yes agreed. However "if" & it's still an if, it
is based on that GM engine then there would be some things to be
addressed, not just moving the oil pickup & having the "sump" at the bottom.

Why don't you just list in standard English

Gotta love it an totally uneducated union spruiker yank asking for
standard English!!! what a hoot from the liar:-)

all of the "some things to
be addressed," and we'll ask Mercury.

Well the early hondas had a few problems with cam sealing, the top
wasn't getting enough & the bottom too much so seals didn't just fail
but at the top particularly cut into the shaft by being too dry.

Already mentioned the loss of prime thing but that's probably OK now

Some of the early 4 strokes tended to corrode out what is effectively
the sump. (hot salt water being blasted by exhaust seems the eat through
very quickly)

In my case being a diesel the concerns were about oil getting past the
rings into the chamber, always a serious thing in diesels. They have oil
sprayers under the pistons so there's always plenty there.

With the cyls to stern if a boat were very stern low trimmed at rest (as
many OB craft are let alone with well over 600lbs of diesel OB
attached:-)) then they were worried residual lube oil might get flowed
"down" into the chambers.

Well as I said under the tutelage of GM they should be pretty right, but
as we all now know they were pretty hopeless when it came to Optimax &
gees louise that was the Aussies:-)

All this is predicated upon them using that particular GM block as the
base engine, given the weight etc it seems likely?? Anyone confirm??

I suspect they actually thought
about the dry sump issue and were able to engineer something without
making a phone call to Australia.

Or do you believe they ignored that issue?

So I'll cut it down to just Harry's lie for the day??? This was one of
the lobster boat posts, when he posted for 18 mths about how he was
buying this or that, what a load of BS!!!!

"Sure. I'm in the market for a new marine diesel of 420-480 shp. I'm
especially interested in Volvo's TAMD74P EDC, because Volvo has had a
lot of experience with electronic controls in that size diesel. I've
dismissed getting a Cat 3208 TA because the technology is so old and
because a couple of commercial fishermen I know who have had 3208's
have, basically, burned them out."

Gee even this lie has an imported engine boo hoo poor unionists:-)