Steve

The Generator would run your welder, but the Inverter would only be able to
handle it if you were charging your battery bank at the same time. I have a
2000watt inverter and 800 AH battery bank and I know it would be pushing my
capacity.

Just an Idea! The off-roaders, have little welders that they run off their
alternators for back woods welding repairs. Maybe these are specially
modified alternators. All I know is that my son has one on his off-road
Toyota.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"Nigel" wrote in message
I have a Kemppi Master 1400 Stick welder that I'd like to be able to use
aboard my boat
I have a 2400w inverter fitted that I think is a square wave, might be
modified square wave.
or... I do have access to a 3.5kv generator. would either of these run it.
The Kemppi has a maximum output of 140amp, but at what is the voltage, how
many watts do I need to strike the ark etc

thanks