Jim Kelly

Default B-W Velvet Drive clunking

The transmission is direct coupled to the prop shaft. The prop shaft is
supported on the other end by a cutlass bearing that employs a rubber
insert. Although the rubber insert will absorb some vibration and very
minor misalignment, it is important to verify alignment at the coupling
on the transmission. This is done by taking out the bolts holding the
two coupling halves together, separating the halves slightly and checking
alignment with a feeler gauge. This must be done with the boat in the
water.

A clunk could come from several places. A loose prop or worn prop key, a
worn cutlass bearing, a loose coupling, or the transmission itself. I
think the first thing you should do is try and find the source of the
clunk. This would best be done with the boat out of the water. Have
someone move it in and out of gear while you check each area. Only put
the transmission in gear momentarily when the boat is out ot the water
and do not run above idle. The cutlass bearing is lubricated by the
water that surrounds it and will not be lubricated when the boat is out
of the water.

I hope this helps.

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:41:25 GMT, Jim Kelly wrote:

There are no U-joints

~ snippage ~

Along the propeller shaft? I mean, I have never owned an inboard or
an i/o (other than the Chris*Craft I'm salvaging) so I don't know.

It would seem to me that a direct connection to the engine/tranny
combination without having a U-joint of some sort to help absorb
vibration wouldn't be a good design.

How else with the type of transmission you described, would you
develop a clunk? Prop loose maybe?

Just trying to learn. ;)

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

"Fisherman are born honest, but they get
over it." - Ed Zern