Terry Spragg

Toller wrote:
My mahogany dagger board was damaged when I bought the boat used. I glued
it with epoxy and put some fiberglass around it and it has held up for a few
years, but I don't think it will last.

I bought some 8/4 white oak on ebay for almost nothing (100bf for $1.25),
and figured I will build a new daggerboard while I had something intact to
copy.

The blank is 44" long, 2" thick, and 15" wide. It weights 35 pounds.
I originally intended to cut the corners off on my table saw, but it is so
heavy that it doesn't seem particularly safe.
So, I have been going at it with my 3" belt sander and my 2" power planer.
Both would work, but they would take hours and hours of work.

Any suggestions for a good way to shape my blank into an airfoil shape?
I am thinking of buying a better planer, but hope someone here will be
resourceful.

Use your table saw as a shaper by sliding the blank sideways over
the blade. It will leave concavities, a hollow ground shape you can
refine more easily. A well made slide jig should provide a reagulare
shape and remove most of the unwanted material.

Don't be afraid to drill a few bolt holes in your saw top to hold
special jigs, or use eccentrics to hold in guide slides.

Cut strips to sit in grooves able to slide, lay ply on top, pin with
brads, screw together from other side. with saw, route grooves the
other way, make side slider jig. Screw on a fence to enable milling.
Terry K