The Floating Bear

In article . com,
() wrote:

If you can hear a rev drop in your engine from the alternator, you are
already charging at close to its maximum output

But the revs come up again after a while as the charge current drops off.

I think the real issue
is that you are only charging 10 minutes at a time

I actually tend to motor for longer than I need to, so that I can get some
charge into the batteries. I'd like to have to motor less, by making the
charging more efficient within the capacity of the 35A alternator, i.e. to
be running at 20A for 30 mins rather than dropping back to 5A within a few
minutes as the standard regulator does (figures guessed at to illustrate a
point).

I'd recommend getting a solar panel

A completely reasonable suggestion but several hundred quid to buy for
anything worthwhile, but in the UK I'd be inclined to go for a wind
generator. Still several hundred quid, though. Except that in The 12 volt
Doctor they discuss modifying an old ceiling fan motor to as a wind
generator. I can envisage a way of doing something like the Dolphin
vertical axis unit

http://www.solarenergyalliance.com/w...or_dolphin.htm

New ceiling fans are under £20 in the DIY sheds now . . .

Regards,
Jerry