Peter Bennett

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:53:21 -0700, Gary G see.signature@bottom
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 05:53:26 GMT, ahoy wrote:

Our local (us) power squadron told us there is now a $150 VHF licience
fee we have to pay if we still want to cruise in Canada. Is this
really being enforced when you check in at the customs dock?

No idea about this. I have a Restricted License based on
flying. I believe that this is the same license needed
for marine. So I am OK.

I suspect that is what we in Canada would call an "Operator
Certificate" - here the aeronautical and marine operators certificates
are different - aviators don't need to know about channel 16, and some
other marine-specific things.

The $150 is the US FCC fee for a ship station licence. US pleasure
craft operating in the US are exempt from station licencing, but do
require a station licence when operating in another country (not just
in Canada).

I have no experience with Canada. Until some future
time, I will avoid Canada destinations due to customs
hassles between Canada and US.

Gary Gaugler, Ph.D.
Microtechnics, Inc.
Granite Bay, CA 95746