Rod McInnis

Default Suggestions for replacing 5.7 V-8 Cracked Block

"WaIIy" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 10:55:30 -0800, "Rod McInnis"

You don't give up easily. Please give some proof to your allegation.

You said: Quote:
"I don't know the exact year that counter rotating engines were no longer
being produced but I believe it has been at least ten years or so."

Unquote.

I took that statement to indicate you were claiming that Right Hand (a.k.a.
counter rotating) engines were no longer made. In my previous message I
provided the link to the website of Crusader, a leading manufacturer of
engines used in twin engine cruisers, that clearly shows that Crusader sells
engines in both Left Hand and Right Hand rotation.

Here is another one, from Pleasure Craft, who is a leading manufacturer of
marine engines used in ski boats:
http://www.pleasurecraft.com/NewFiles/PCMSpecs.PDF

As further proof, consider the specifications for the transmissions. My
favorite, and the one I am intimately familiar with, is the Velvet Drive by
Borg Warner. The one I have actually had apart in my garage was a 71
series. Here it their website:
http://www.simplicity-marine.com/velv71.htm

Note that this transmission is available in 6 different gear ratios: 1.0,
1.52, 1.91, 2.10, 2.57, and 2.92 to 1. Of these, only ONE (1.91) is
available with the output shaft rotating in an opposite direction of the
input shaft. Note that any of these transmissions can be configured for the
input shaft rotating in either direction (a simple matter of rotating the
oil pump on the input shaft 180 degrees).

I submit that if a leading manufacturer of transmissions only offers 1/6th
of their product line in counter rotating output then there would be a
significant number of dual engine boats that achieve counter rotating
propellers by utilizing counter rotating engines.

If links to the manufacturers websites where they are advertising new motors
for sale are not sufficient proof for you, maybe you can tell me what form
of proof you would consider to be acceptable.

I submit that very few boats with twin engines built in the last 15
years have engines that rotate differently.

I currently own a 36' Carver Mariner that has one LH and one RH engine

I used to own a Pro-Am tournament style ski boat that had a right hand
(counter rotating) engine.

There are plenty of boats out there that have Right Hand rotating engines in
them. If you are an expert on Bayliner Capri boats, and such know exactly
what models of engines and outdrives were used, then by all means assure
Scott (the original person who asked the question) that he doesn't need to
bother checking any details about his boat.

For those people who might be reading this thread and considering changing
out the short block, I stand by my original suggestion. It only takes a few
seconds to check to see if the engine turns "right hand" or "left hand". If
you don't run this check, and it turns out that you are one of those few who
have a right hand rotating engine, you are going to be really, really sad
when you get the engine all together and find out its all wrong.

Rod