Evgenij Barsukov

Default best price/performance deep cycle battery for trolling motor?

DSK wrote:

Evgenij Barsukov wrote:
I am looking to buy a deep-cycle battery to run a 55 lb trolling
motor (45A max/12V) which will be used as the only motor for an
inflatable boat for fishing.

By far the most bang for the buck is golf cart batteries. Looking at the
cost per 12V amp-hour, they are about 2/3 the cost of car batteries and
1/2 the cost of marine batteries. Of course, they are 6V so you have the
trouble of wiring them in series, but that isn't difficult.

For our boat, I bought a pair of Exide Gr 31 dual purpose batteries from
Agri-Supply
http://www.agri-supply.com/catmain/1200005.htm
I don't know what the reserve rating is but their amp-hours are about
115 so one of those would certainly drive your motor at full power for 1
hour, and the cost is about $65

Are you sure it is Ah and not reserve time? If it is really 115 Ah, it would run
my motor for 2 hrs at max power! (115Ah / 45 A )
Well, actually somewhat less considering the curve you mentioned, as Ah rating
is for 20A load.

But another issue for me is weight. What would be the weight of the
2 batteries you mentioned?
It is an inflatable boat (through it has wooden bottom-plate) so
I would not like to place anything about 50 lb into
it (I have also to carry the battery from car to boat every time).

Regards,
Evgenij

*science&fiction*free programs*fine art*phylosophy:
http://sudy_zhenja.tripod.com
----------remove hate_spam to answer--------------