Peter Clinch

Ewan Scott wrote:

Unecessary implies not needed at all. I'd argue that isn't the case, bu=

then I'm not doing placid water nowadays.

Fair comment, and we're down to semantics in a way. I always have a cag =

with me, but having said that I always had a cag with me when I first=20
started. It was the Peter Storm pullover smock I had in the cubs/scouts =

for keeping the rain off and just about everyone has something equally=20
good (well, just about everyone who's going to want to take up=20
paddling...) they can use to keep the worst off and see if they like=20
paddling before they spend =A350+ on a twin waisted cag with serious seal=
s=20
that won't be much use for anything bar paddling.

Expense is relative. Warmer drier, happier paddlers for the cost of a =A3=

15
wind cag is cheap if it overcomes initial barriers. Remember, for most =

kids
starting out paddling the biggest fear is getting cold, and cold water.=

The
psychological effect of having some protection pays fantastic dividends=

=2E

Agreed, but I think most people have something that will do as a=20
windbreaker, or can borrow something that will, without going off and=20
buying a paddling cag.

If we are talking beginners, I can't think of a single time we have bee=

n out
and they haven't got wet, either by splashing each other, accidental ca=

psize
or deliberate capsize. If we are on the water for two hours and one of =

our
beginners is inappropriately dresed and falls in within the first five
minutes (as sometimes happens with one or two of them) then the followi=

ng
hour and 55 minutes may be less than pleasant.

If you're in in 5 minutes then it's easy enough to get changed and dried =

and start again without killing it for everyone. Being splashed when=20
you're wearing a windproof smock as against capsizing in a cotton T are=20
rather different things.
While ideally someone who's going to fall in will be better off in a=20
wettie than without unless it's a nice summer day (but why not start off =

on a nice summer day if you have the choice?), that's not quite the same =

as blow =A3100 on a paddler's wetsuit and cag before you start or you'll =

have a crap time... Nobody's really suggested that's the case, but it=20
could certainly have been inferred.

Indeed, but ithe more comfortable we can make them the more likely they=

are
to get into the sport.

This is true, but one also has an obligation not to waste people's=20
money. Paddling isn't for some people even if they do get all the gear=20
(I'm rather hoping that the "new black" status of sea paddling will mean =

a rash of second hand hardly used and very nice boats in a couple of=20
years... ;-)) and I think in a lot of cases they would be better off in=20
make-dos for the first few sessions. And that's not necessarily a=20
problem: friends that have paddled for 3 or 4 years now still hire out=20
TSKC wetties, cags and BAs, and though I personally think they'd be=20
better off getting their own at this point it certainly hasn't put them=20
off! My cag is a semi-dry, I'll borrow a dry for surf if I can, but the =

amount I do I can't justify the cost compared to stuff like, say, beer! ;=
-)

I started in tee shirts and shorts, but soon discovered that a thermal =

and
cag, of any sort were a better bet.

Right, here's one I think we can suggest for almost anyone: a good=20
wicking baselayer top! Keeps you as comfortable as you'll get and dries =

out nice and quickly. Helly Lifa, Lowe Dryflo or similar. Highly=20
recommended!

when I'm likely to end up standing in the water for extended periods (a=

lways
a possibility) I prefer my wet suit..

Though you'd probably prefer a dry suit. I can't justify one myself,=20
but for those spending a lot of time in the water they seem to be well=20
worth thinking about. I'll get one some day, probably when (not "if",=20
but "when") I win the lottery...

Pete.
--=20
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
net http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/