Roger Long

"Peggie Hall" wrote ...

Roger Long wrote:
I decided that having a tee and valve in the sink drain wasn’t a
good idea as it was just an invitation to clogging from hair, etc.

Not likely. At least I've never heard of it happening...

That's good to know. There wasn't space for a convenient connection
anyway.

I think you WAY over-complicated it, Rog. Plus, manual marine
toilets aren't designed to use pressurized flush water--which is
what your garden hose arrangement supplies. Pressurized flush water
in a manual toilet pump knocks the seals and o-rings all askew.

Good point. I've had the head apart and made sure the valves were set
to let water flow through. I only closed the seacock enough to start
a slight flow. I can see though, and knew before I did this, that you
could screw up a head with too much pressure. Bad of me to suggest
this without proper warnings.

Our old head never rim washed completely around. My son always
managed to throw his paper in the dead spot so there was always a call
for dad afterwards. It now flushes all the way around and works
better in general. I will still withdraw any implication of this
being a recommendation for general consumption.

You used clear hose for the intake plumbing??? Oops... most clear
hoses are not rated for below waterline connections.

Goodness, as a designer of million dollar plus boats, I'd better know
that! The head is plumbed with the proper heavy stuff. The clear
hose is just the flush hose upstream of the shutoff valve. No water
in it except when being used for flushing.

Methinks we should have talked a bit again before you did all
this...'cuz methinks you may have created more problems than you
solved.

Glad we had this exchange but I'd still do it the same way because
there wasn't room for the tee in the drain line anyway. It was also a
lot simpler and cheaper. One valve, one tee, six hose clamps saved. I
shouldn't have suggested this as a general solution to anything but we
have illuminated some good issues.

Always a pleasure,

--

Roger Long