Peggie Hall

Roger Long wrote:
I decided that having a tee and valve in the sink drain wasn’t a good
idea as it was just an invitation to clogging from hair, etc.

Not likely. At least I've never heard of it happening...

Two
valves open would also short circuit sea water unseen to the bilge
sump where it would pump overboard until the battery ran down. The
boat would then sink.

Not if you close the seacock!

Here’s what I did.

I think you WAY over-complicated it, Rog. Plus, manual marine toilets
aren't designed to use pressurized flush water--which is what your
garden hose arrangement supplies. Pressurized flush water in a manual
toilet pump knocks the seals and o-rings all askew.

To flush the head, I hook up the shore hose with the seacock open.
This gives me an unlimited supply of fresh water as well as back
flushing the intake. Hopefully, the critters growing in it don’t like
fresh water either. By slowly closing the seacock, I can pressurize
the head slightly. Seeing some of the stuff coming out around the edge
of the rim makes me think this is a good idea anyway.

Not really...the head intake and channel in the rim of the bowl just
need a good flushing out, which could be done just as easily by filling
the sink with fresh water (seacock closed, of course) and flushing the
toilet.

If I do want to use the on board fresh water, the hose is long enough
to reach up into the sink. If I want to run something besides fresh
water into the head, I can stick it in a bucket.

That shouldn't be an issue, 'cuz the only times you should ever need to
use the onboard supply is to rinse the sea water out the system.

Ever wonder where your head is in relationship to the waterline? The
clear hose makes a great indicator.

You used clear hose for the intake plumbing??? Oops... most clear hoses
are not rated for below waterline connections.

Methinks we should have talked a bit again before you did all
this...'cuz methinks you may have created more problems than you solved.

--
Peggie