Larry

Default Possibility of autopilot for jet boat

I have a three year old Bombardier Utopia 185. It is powered by a Mercury
200 hp jet drive. I would like to use this for fishing, but you absolutely
cannot take your hands off the wheel, particularly at low speeds. Steering
is accomplished by a push pull cable arangement which connects to a
steerable pipe under water.

I've been trying to find an autopilot that would work at trolling speeds,
but have been able to find anything. The Nautamatic TR1 requires hydraulic
steering, the Raymarine Sport Pilot Plus require some kind of rudder
feedback which would mean attaching a cylinder or rotary actuator under
water and none of them appear waterproof. The factory has told me that the
plain Sport Pilot would not work because a jet boat responds too quickly.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks,
--

Larry
email is rapp at lmr dot com