Steve

"The Floating Bear" wrote in message
k...

drop on the engine even with my poor little 35A alternator. However, a
controller that let me get more of the 35A out usefully would be very
handy.

I think something should be clarified here.

You can't get more amperage out of an alternator than it is rated. Your 35
amp alternator will only output something slightly less than 35 amps, no
matter what kind of charge controller you use.

The main advantage of the any charge controller is the ability to keep the
alternator charging at or near it's max. for a longer period of time, until
a charge level has been reached. The alternator regulator begins tapering
off at an earlier stage than is normal required for boat batteries and
engine run requirements.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW