Short Wave Sportfishing

Default best price/performance deep cycle battery for trolling motor?

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:55:24 -0600, Evgenij Barsukov
wrote:

I am looking to buy a deep-cycle battery to run a 55 lb trolling
motor (45A max/12V) which will be used as the only motor for an
inflatable boat for fishing.

I am converging so far on Optima D34/78 (gives you 120 min reserve
at 25A, so it should run motor for 1 hrs at highest power).
It can be had for 144 $

What do you say:

- Can I get a better battery or similar one for
better price?

- Is the battery sized properly for this motor/usage (its my first one,
so I dont know).

I had two of them on my Ranger for the trolling motor and one for
starting. I was less than impressed with them as a long life trolling
motor supply. (This was in a 24 volt situation - maybe it's better
with a 12 volt operation).

I now have Interstate Megatron Lead Acid deep cycle batteries and
based on their performance last year, lasted longer, recharged quicker
and in general performed better than the Optimax.

I know some other guys who used these and had similar discharge
problems that I had.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)