Butch Davis

In 1943 When I was three years old my Dad was stationed at then Camp Rucker,
AL. We lived in Elba, AL very close to a river.

My Dad was a keen fisherman but had no boat, so he built one. It was very
small but the aft portion would just fit into the very deep trunk of his
1942 Mercury. The bow stuck out several feet.

The boat construction was canvas on rib and frame like many aircraft of the
time. Dad built the frame and some soldiers at Rucker did the canvas and
dope part. Dad also made some very nice little "duck boards" to fit in the
bottom to support a person's weight, tackle boxes, etc.

He took me on the maiden voyage. Power was a canoe paddle or two.

While skimming around on the river we passed under a tree and suddenly had
an uninvited guest; a big old cottonmouth. Dad's first reaction was to beat
it to death with the paddle but soon gave up thet idea due to the potential
of punturing the canvas. He grabbed me by an arm and was holding me in the
air while trying to get the paddle under the smake and keep it from getting
beneath the duck boards.

We were on the verge of abandoning ship when the cottonmouth decided to
cooperate by attacking the paddle which permitted Dad to flip it overboard.

I don't think I've ever seem my Father so angry and frightened. Of course,
I just thought it was great fun except for a sore arm. My Dad had my arm in
a death grip for what seemed like a long time. Whole incident probably
lasted 30 seconds or so.

Butch
wrote in message
ups.com...
Thats what we accuse them of now.
Another time, it had to be about 1962 when I was 6, they took us to
Jacksonville, Fl beach DURING A HURRICANE. We stood about a block from
the beach watching the waves washing against a 3 story hotel tearing
out huge concrete chunks. Now my parents are in their upper 80s, and I
recently asked thekm about this incident and my mother replied "I just
cant remember, i am too old" . Of course we all know thats BS. With 9
kids, entertainment is either free or nonexistent and that was free.