My parents used to put the canoe in the Wakulla River, a crystal clear
deep spring fed jungle like body of water teeming with snakes and
gators. They'd throw a long rope off the stern and all of us kids who
could swim like fish, all 9 of us would hold onto the rope as they
dragged us downriver to the next bridge. It was cheap entertainment.
Years later, I realize this was probably a great way to troll for
gators but nothing ever happened. We all had masks and snorkels and I
still remember the huge prehistoric looking gar fish, some 8' long
looking like barracuda beneath us. For some reason we were not afraid
of them. If I tried to give my kids such good memories I'd be accussed
of child abuse.