PocoLoco

On Fri, 09 Sep 2005 16:26:34 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On 9 Sep 2005 07:26:35 -0700, wrote:

I'd get busy and let the Dutch know about this new policy. They have
built below sea level for almost ever.

I think we are talking apples and oranges. The Dutch don't have
hurricanes and AFAIK do not have a major subsidence problem like
southern Louisiana does (at least since about 1300).

Yes, the Dutch, in some areas, do have a subsidence problem. My friend lives in
a small town, Stolwyjk, about 25 km from Rotterdam. Over the last couple years
they have raised all the streets in town about three feet. The buildings
(houses, etc) are built on pilings, but the yards, streets, parks, etc. are not.
They sink.

The streets in the town are cobblestone, for the most part, and are completely
dug up, along with the front yards in the town. Fill is trucked in, and the
space between buildings is brought back up to level. It's strange as hell,
because where their used to be steps on the front of the house, the steps are
now gone. The front door, the yard, and the street are all level again. This
will be repeated in a number (I know not how many) years.
--
John H