Butch Davis wrote:
Interesting that 54% of Americans polled say don't rebuild the flooded parts
of NO below sea level.

That makes good fiscal sense and good safety sense. Regardless of who is or
is not to blame for the progress of the life saving efforts in NO, I believe
everyone can agree that the effort was made incredibly more difficult by the
flooding. If NO had been affected by wind rather than by flood the rescue
efforts would have been vastly simplified.

I agree with the majority of Americans. Lets save the Quarter and the
hotels necessary to support the Quarter's tourist industry, but lets not
perpetuate the gross mistake of building a major city below sea level. It
would be unsafe and a horrible waste of the people's treasure.

Butch

I tend to view some of these polls because I am not convinced that many
Americans (or anyone else) have a firm enough grasp of the issues
involved to make an informed decision.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but some opinions are better than
others.

If this hurricane and flood event was a one in a hundred year event or
longer it might be feasible to improve the levee system and rebuild.

If there is a say 30% chance of this occuring every 5 years then
rebuilding would be a huge waste.

Looking at the hurricane damage in areas of Florida it seems to me that
large areas need to be reviewed to see if any permanent habitations
should be built.

I have seen reports of places in Florida where owners have rebuilt
several times in the past 10 years all of it subsidized by cheap flood
insurance by the federal government.

My tax dollars at work ?