*JimH*

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 18:49:01 -0400, "*JimH*" wrote:

~~ snippage ~~

End of rant. Call me insensitive, not PC or whatever phrase you want to
use. I could care less.

Through our church, we are hosting a family of six, two parents and
four children, at one of our apartment houses.

Without getting into details, they've been here two days. We gave
them some money for clothes, food and and had an old TV, some
furniture in storage, stuff like that. We had a couple of older model
cell phones and got those up and running for them to use.

Today we went out to find a mini-van for them to use. As it happened,
one of the folks I know who is in the former leased car business had a
Ford mini with 50k on it - gave it to them and basically said he would
take a dollar - when he could spare to give it..

We hustled to get it registered and by the time we got back to the
apartment, imagine my surprise when I found the grass mowed and the
kids managed to find the paint and brushes and were painting an area
of the porch I just hadn't gotten around to yet. They asked if they
could do the windows tomorrow, but my wife informed them that they
were going to be going to school tomorrow. :)

He was a rigger at Lykes and wanted to find a job welding or working
with metal as a fabricator/rigger. I made a few calls, got a few
leads and he just called me with good news - he starts as a welder on
Monday with a local iron company. It ain't rigging heavy machinery or
working with heavy steel, but it is welding and the wages are good.

She was a Teacher's Aide and through the efforts of some of my wife's
friends, she is working as a TA in the town where the apartments are
located - two blocks from the school.

Get this - he asked me if he could hold off repaying us until he got a
little money in the bank. And he wanted to know what the rent was
because he wanted to pay rent.

Interesting huh?

Indeed. What a nice family...on both sides. Your family was willing to
take in a family and the other family was willing travel over 1,000 miles
north to start a new life and not depend on the government for their
survival.

Your generosity will be rewarded Tom. If I ever expressed a cross word to
you I was wrong and apologize...you are obviously "good people". ;-)