d parker

No idea.. it depends on each boat. Most t/y's have either a winch or block
and tackle system.
Keel weights vary on class. I am sure the catalina people would have lots of
info on the boat if you sent them an email.

Cheers
DP
"Alan S" wrote in message
. ..
My question is how DO you raise and lower it. My Catalina 22 has a winch
with a cable that goes through the hole in the floor with the rubber hose
on it and attaches to the bottom of the keel so you can raise and lower it
from just inside the companion way. (This design IMO is one of the
stupidest things I have ever seen.. If they have to put a 3 inch hole in
the bottom of the boat then why didn't they make the tube that the cable
goes through out of something solid that goes up above the waterline? All
too often an unwary Catalina 22 owner finds their boat on the bottom of
the lake because the hose has somehow managed to come off, but I digress.)
In the picture of the H23 swing keel that was posted appears to have no
cable at the bottom of the keel and no place to put one. Is there some
device that pushes the keel up from the front? That would seem to be a
difficult place for good leverage, How do they work? How heavy is the
keel? A Catalina 22 swing keel can weigh well over 500 pounds.

--
Alan Stewart
Chief Information Officer

www.k2systemsgroup.com
T: 512.238.8700
F: 512.238.8701
C: 512.585.8887

K2 Systems Group manufactures custom coating equipment designed for the
offset, DI and digital print markets. Since this equipment is so unique
and customized for the printing application, there is a limited number of
suppliers for certain components that are incorporated into this
equipment. While K2 makes every attempt to provide customers with
equipment as quickly as possible, delays experienced from our vendors due
to the demand for this equipment can translate into unforeseen delays.
Such delays can occur at any point in the production process. Any
estimate of any date of completion or delivery is subject to change at any
time based on availability of components and on production schedule.
"d parker" wrote in message
Now that we have decieded what keel you have, we can go through some
points.

Swings are usually a little slower than drop keel (daggerboard) boats.
Due to the added drag caused by the "slot/s" and in some cases cable.

They are however excellent if you bump the bottom as there is less chance
of doing harm to the "case" as they just fold aft.

A point of interest here is that the pic you show is a "Swing" with a
small "wing" attached. As Matt mentioned before the wing helps to get
wieght lower and in the case of this particular one I would think the
designers have developed it to assist in minimising the various vorecies
that would be occuring around that area as well.

Frankly though, I dont like the design in the picture as it is not one
that lends itself to the beaching of the boat, which is one of the many
good reasons to own a trailerable. Though it is probably quite stable
with the keel up.

DP
"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ok, I'm really embarrassed now , but I think that I should have used
the term "swing keel". See the link shown below. This is what the thing
looks like. The caption on the photo says "Infamous Wing Wing
Keel"---which is were I got the term in the first place. I think that
this "keel" is more like a centerboard or daggerboard (maybe). Anyway,
apparently this keel has at least two positions completely "up" and
completey "down" ---or maybe more---I dunno. Anyway, assuming that
"SWING KEEL" is the correct term, how dos the thing work and how do you
let it up and down (...maybe with a rope...er...I mean a sheet).
Thanks, Jim

http://www.sailboatowners.com/album/...51942590&bts=T