DSK wrote:
wrote:
I think a lot of it is the border crossing red tape. We were within 25
miles of the Canadian border on our cruise to eastern Maine this summer
and elected not to go further because we didn't want to deal with the
aggravation of returning and clearing back in. Imagine that, returning
to a country where you were born, lived all your life, and served in
the armed forces at one point, only to be treated as one step above a
criminal suspect. Unbelievable.

And the worst thing is that the borders are largely porous, with over 2
million people per year coming across.

The times we've returned into the country, we've been treated relatively
curteously & professionally (always at airports) but it still takes time
better spent on other things, it's aggravating, and it's ineffective.

We've been talking to a number of people who cruise into Canada each
summer on the Great Lakes, and they say things like "the paperwork isn't
too bad."

Fair Skies
Doug King

Paperwork into Canada:

Arrived in Bedwell Harbour on a Sunday. Nobody at the customs dock.
Pick up the direct dial phone and connect to Sidney. "What's your
vessel ID #? How many people on board? All US citizens? Any firearms?
How much booze and tobacco? Any pets? Ok, welcome to Canada. Write this
clearance number on a slip of paper and display it in your dockside
window."

Paperwork back into US: Surprisingly easy......but only because we
traveled with our passports. First thing the customs officer did was to
scan the computerized info on the passports, consult a computer, and
after about 15 seconds of typing something she asked, "How long were
you in Canada? How much money did you spend on things you're bringing
back? Any beef, chicken, pork or fruits and vegetables on this list?
Any Cuban cigars? How much booze and tobacco are you bringing in? Did
anybody give you anything to carry across the border? OK, I guess we'll
let you back in- but you have to buy a $25 customs decal because your
boat is over 30-feet."

The $25 bucks is a hose job. Ticks me off every year. If my boat were
6-feet shorter, I'd get back in for free. If Paul Allen comes across
with his 190-footer, he also pays just $25. :-)