Keenan & Julie

in article et, chip at
wrote on 9/3/05 7:02 AM:

Hey Keenan et al:
Let me know when you'll be in Florida ...
As for the Kissimmee River - it's a ditch. Fixed up nice and straight (way,
way better than dumb ol' nature flung it down there) by the US Army Corps of
Engineers back in the 1940s (or thereabouts) it's now the object of some
restoration projects. Maybe in a decade or so it'll again be a beautiful
ride, but right now much of it is just a high-speed channel to move
fertilizer runoff to Lake Okeechobee then out to the Gulf via the other
ditch - the Caloosahatchee River.

Oh :-(

Well, at least all your rivers seem to have spectacular names!

Don't think that's all I've got to say, though, as there are some beautiful
rivers & creeks here in Central Florida - I live near Lake Walk-in-Water
and there's a creek flowing into that lake - my house is about 100 yards
from that creek, about 1/2mile from the lake. Going out of Walk-in-Water
there's a creek which flows on into Lake Rosalie and one going from there
to Lake Tiger and one from Tiger into Lake Kissimmee, a beautiful wide spot
on the Kissimmee River.
I used to make that journey, camping and fishing, and stay gone for weeks at
a time when I was young, but it was always a challenge as the creeks are
narrow and often blocked by downed trees. Beautiful, though.
And there are dozens (if not hundreds) more rivers & creeks that are even
more easily travelled.
Used to make lots of canoe trips. Haven't gone anywhere much since I bought
my kayak (which I bought because a beautiful girl kayaker living nearby told
me she wished she had somebody to kayak with ... ).

Heehee. Many a man has been inspired to do much less worthwhile things for
the same motivation.

I used it for fishing
here on the lake a few times and let other neighbors borrow it - they love
to kayak and don't have one ...

I look forward to making that and other journeys again now that I'm an old
retired person. Hopefully my worn out knees, back and hips will allow it.

Lemme know when you head to Florida next - chip

Thanks! I'm a relatively young but somewhat physically wornout man myself,
and I find kayaking is pretty easy on most parts of my body that I usually
complain about :-)

"Keenan & Julie" wrote in message
JOURNEY 51: "A DAM GOOD TIME"

Thanks Chip!

I was down your way (well, in the same state anyway) in February, my wife
and I supported a trip for 14 people with intellectual disabilities to
South
Beach. It was awesome. We were treated like gold everywhere we went.
Kayaking wasn't on the agenda though, we'll have to come back on our own
sometime for that.

Keenan
gokayaking.ca