Correction.

I meant to say this discussion has been stated in somewhat simplistic
terms.

There is a lot about hull shape , directional stability etc to be
considered.

For example, you could build a pontoon boat that will carry tem people
evenly distributed over the boat. If someone shouts ' come look at the
pretty birdy' and all ten rush to the left side rail you have a
situation. The requirement that the boat stay flat in that situation
changes the design.

Weight and balance left/right and front/back need to be considered. (I
suppose I should have said port/starboard and fore/aft but you know
what I meant - and which way is port again ?)