Roger Derby

With a pointy ended hull, you'll have triangles of plastic left over that
might/could be "scarfed" to the body to accommodate a longer LOA.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm
"Dave Allyn" wrote in message
Ah.. the plot thickens. I asked the lady in charge how long the
plastic is. She then asked me why? how big of a boat are you
biulding? I said "Probably 12-14 feet long" She smirked. "You know
the cardboard is only 8 feet long, right?"

"Sure. Thats bigger than plywood, but I know people that have built
30' boats with 8 foot sheets of plywood. There is even a guy who
made a 19' canoe from only one 4x8 sheet!

"huh. well, you are going to want to triple the cardboard up anyway
to hold your wieght.

"I'm sorry, but the displacement is what will hold up my weight. I
just need to engineer the boat not to colapse. that's why I need to
know how big the plastic is.

"I don't know. I havn't cut it yet. Probably about 10 feet long."

There goes my 14' canoe!!!!

back to the drawing board. I chopped the back 4 feet off the canoe,
made it into a "V-hull" and widened it out a bit. Hulls gives me a
water depth of 5.6" and a swamp depth of 11.2" that gives me a
freeboard of 5.6", and that should be enough.

Cardboard can be doubled up on the floor, and set at an angle against
the V-Hull for added strength.

Thinking this out again now, 10' of plastic won't be able to come up
the sides very well on the ends. let me do some more thinking.

thanks
dave

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others