Bob the Cow

"Frederick Burroughs" wrote in message

Niche is as important, or more so than competition. While the bass boaters
are restricted to a two or three mile stretch of river behind a dam,
paddlers have a couple hundred miles of quiet, remotely beautiful and
largely unspoiled river.

But, that short stretch of river frequented by the bass fishermen is an
economic engine for the state, with boat registration, fishing permits and
fishing guide businesses.

I won't wear my politics on my sleeve on a recreational boating list --
that's a bit like discussing religion and politics at a dinner party of
acquaintances. Seems rude, but that's how my Daddy brought us up.

Anyhoo, it seems that stereotypes are a decent substitute for thinking.
Bass boaters routinely whiz past me as I start my paddle trip, giving me a
kind of a "sheeee--yit" look as they turn their hats backward for the
high-speed run, squirting a jet of tobacco juice in my general direction,
with a disdainful look at my PFD. Theirs, of course, is stylishly zipped on
to the back of the barber chair on their bass boat. Off they go to conquer
the fearsome largemouth, leaving the yuppie wimp in their wake.

It would be easy to be ****ed off at them if they didn't look so damn funny.
When I get close enough to a bass boat with the motor off so I can hear
myself think, I ask how much they charge for a haircut. Few of them get the
joke. But sometimes I swear I can hear the bass in the livewell chuckling.

Maybe they're laughing at me for stereotyping bass-boat fishermen.