Dave Allyn

On 2 Sep 2005 23:10:23 GMT, (William R.
Watt) wrote:

Dave Allyn ) writes:
Ah.. the plot thickens. I asked the lady in charge how long the
plastic is. She then asked me why? how big of a boat are you
biulding? I said "Probably 12-14 feet long" She smirked. "You know
the cardboard is only 8 feet long, right?"

plastic can be taped too, not just cardboard.

what's really important is how much duct tape you get. with enough duct
tape you can cover the whole boat and forget about the plastic. they
should give you a complete list of material in the contest rules.

if you have to double up on the cardboard there is a one sheet boat on my
website with a 7.75 ft waterline called the Loonie.

Checked out both boats. Thanks for the pointers. The boat I ended up
using is going to be about 8' long, Max Beam is about 32" It looks
like the front half of a canoe, but with a v-hull. The floor will be
doubled, and will be flat, to assist in the stability. I will be
useing the 2' triangles on bothe sides for stability, and will create
a kind of corregation between the layers of the floor for even more
support, especially where I will be kneeling. The Transom will be
doubled, with a 1 inch spacer in the middle to make it bow out a bit.
this should make it more stable as well. I'll make some fillet type
structures out of the left over card board for where the sides meet
the bottom.

With the dimentiones I am putting into this boat, I should have almost
a complete sheet left over to make the stabalizer parts (triangles,
second floor, etc...)

I'll run some tests here ina bit to see how water proof Duct tape is.
It doesn't have to last long, but I don't want to not finnish either!

Thanks again!

dave

email: dallyn_spam at yahoo dot com
please respond in this NG so others