Doug Kanter

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:19:05 -0400, PocoLoco
wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:44:54 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:25:37 -0400, PocoLoco
wrote:

You mean all that time I spent plowing the cut corn stalks under the
ground
(about 9" deep) was *wrong*. You could make a lot of farmers happy if
you could
convince them that plowing was a waste of time!

They already do that in New England and I would imagine in most of the
US.

In the spring, it's just a disc and harrow, then rest the field for
two/three days, then plant.

Doug is right about the gardening thing. Even when they turn a corn
field to a hay field for "resting" for a few years, it's strictly a
disc and harrow, then plant.

In the corn/hay fields I hire out, even five years or so, it's turned
into a hay field and the hay fields are turned into corn fields. Every
ten years or so, a bean crop is planted and just quickly turned over
(disc and harrow) in the Spring. That's about 125 acres of each turned
over every five years on average.

I still see a lot of plowed fields, but maybe that's just because corn
stalks
would be hard to turn over with a disc and harrow. I left the farm many
years
ago, so techniques have probably changed somewhat.

It's amazing what they can do with some of this new equipment. The
farmer that hires out my fields has this monster disc/harrow deal with
opposing discs (at roughly 20º to each other) that just chops stuff up
and harrows at the same time.

Looks like this, only three times the size.

http://www.caseih.com/products/serie...id=105&RL=ENNA

I want one. :-) No more lawn. :-)