Doug Kanter

"PocoLoco" wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:44:54 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing

wrote:

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:25:37 -0400, PocoLoco
wrote:

You mean all that time I spent plowing the cut corn stalks under the
ground
(about 9" deep) was *wrong*. You could make a lot of farmers happy if you
could
convince them that plowing was a waste of time!

They already do that in New England and I would imagine in most of the
US.

In the spring, it's just a disc and harrow, then rest the field for
two/three days, then plant.

Doug is right about the gardening thing. Even when they turn a corn
field to a hay field for "resting" for a few years, it's strictly a
disc and harrow, then plant.

In the corn/hay fields I hire out, even five years or so, it's turned
into a hay field and the hay fields are turned into corn fields. Every
ten years or so, a bean crop is planted and just quickly turned over
(disc and harrow) in the Spring. That's about 125 acres of each turned
over every five years on average.

I still see a lot of plowed fields, but maybe that's just because corn
stalks
would be hard to turn over with a disc and harrow. I left the farm many
years
ago, so techniques have probably changed somewhat.

Take a closer look at what they're doing. Or, ask.