Doug Kanter

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:11:40 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

Many gardeners would take your wife for a one-way boat ride. :-) Squirrels
can wreak havoc with seed beds. I like them, but there's no need to
attract
them, and *definitely* no need to feed them. I've got my entire garden
caged, just so they won't dig around the various seedlings which are
sprouting all season long. Without cages, I'd never see lettuce, carrots,
or
anything else.

I'm not a farmer type, although I have been known to have a vegetable
garden once or twice.

I just don't have the patience.

I don't either, but after 30 years, I have it down to a science. Other than
the initial creation of the garden, which is a bitch (because I don't like
rototillers), it's pretty easy, if you have the right tools. This week, I've
got mustard greens, baby-size, that were grown under some shade cloth so
they wouldn't get bitter. Holy smokes...delicious with a slightly sweet
dressing like raspberry vinaigrette. Next week, fresh arugula, collards,
swiss chard. I got eggplant like crazy, enough tomatoes to supply the whole
neighborhood, tarragon, oregano, parsley, sage, basil (pesto twice a week!),
corn, 3 kinds of lettuce, 4 kinds of peppers, lima beans, green beans.
Coming soon: Snow peas, pak choy, escarole, regular peas.

Next year, I'm gonna double the size. Gotta save up money for the fence,
though. Too many deer and woodchucks. Acquired a new kitten this weekend.
She's being trained to deal with the rabbits. Going to the mall to get a
very realistic stuffed bunny. I'm gonna open it up, add a few tablespoons of
catnip, sew it back up, and teach kitty that this is the reason for her
existence.