NOYB

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
bb wrote:
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:04:59 GMT, Charlie Brown
wrote:

I plan on buying a used boat this winter. I see that Scout boats
don't use wood for construction but rather some composite material
that does not rot. Are there other manufacturers that do the same
thing? In doing my research, it seems that rotten wood is the main
problem with used boats in which repair costs can soar. For this
reason, I'm thinking a small center console scout will suit my needs
best. Has Scout always used this composite material or do some of the
older boats have wood also?

add cape horn and sea strike boats to the list, imo.

bb

Two of the best sal****er lines made, Grady and Parker, use XL ply for
stringers and in the transom. Wood is a wonderful material for boats if
the right kind is used properly.

Grady only started using XL ply in 1998. That's why you hear so much about
rotting transoms, floors, and bulkheads in older Grady's.