Roger Derby

Just be careful when creating "hard points" that you spread the load
smoothly out to the skins. Any abrupt change in loading such as occurs at
the edge of a metal backing plate will lead to failure in that area.

Prime areas for concern include deck attachment points and bulkhead to skin
joins.

Big epoxy fillets are good; as are stacked backing plates of decreasing size
with the largest and limpest next to the skin.

Roger

http://home.earthlink.net/~derbyrm

"M Russon" wrote in message
Dear Group,
I am interested in some feedback on pontoon construction. I have
looked at several designs for wood pontoons with fiberglass over them.
I would not be building something huge, perhaps about 18 feet max. Has
anyone had experience building a pontoon? I have built wood/fiberglass
construction before, but never a pontoon. Ideas on floatation foam and
bulkheads? Proper support for deck attachment? Etc. Thanks a ton for
any feedback.

M Russon