Lawrence James

Default Suggestions for replacing 5.7 V-8 Cracked Block

Counter rotation engines have not been built for a while and certainly would
not be in a late model bayliner single engine boat.

"Rod McInnis" wrote in message

"Scott B. Hogle" wrote in message

Could I just buy a block and re-use the crankshaft, camshaft, pistions

and
bearings?

I would certainly NOT consider reusing bearings! As for the pistons, you
will have to make sure that the cylinder bore matches your old pistons.

If
you buy a late model block from a junkyard you will probably be okay, but
there is a good chance that a remanufactured block has been bored out to
clean up the cylinder walls.

Would it be smarter just to buy a re-man shortblock and re-use the

existing
cylinder heads?

I would not reuse 7 year old cylinder heads without at least resurfacing

the
valve seats and changing out the stem seals. You need to be careful to

make
sure that the heads are an exact match. It is not uncommon for the same
basic engine to be built from two different factories that have slightly
different (and incompatible) components.

Do I need to get a "Mercruiser" shortblock, or would any GM 5.7

shortblock
work?

I am sure that this question will create considerable controversy. There
are those that claim that the "freeze plugs" (even the name of these

things
generates controversy) are different on a "marine" engine. The concern is
that the standard steel plugs will rust out too fast in a raw water cooled
engine, especially if it ever sees salt water.

Final question, how much should I expect to pay to have a boat repair
facility "Remove and Reinstall" the engine.

Your best bet would be to call some shops in your area and ask them! I

would
expect to pay $75 to $100 an hour per person working. Would you be doing
this just because you don't have a crane that will lift the engine out of
the boat? Two suggestions:

1) have everthing disconnected and the bolts loose so that you simply have
to back the trailer under their hoist, lift it up, pull the trailer out,
back the truck in, then lower down. This wouldn't need to be done at a

boat
shop, any shop with an overhead hoist could help you out.

2) Build your own hoist. You can buy a chain hoist for pretty cheap (or
rent one), and then an A-Frame with 4x4s should be strong enough. I would
expect $100 or so would do it. You might also try calling local rental
yards to see if they might have something. I know you can rent standard
engine hoists, but it might not have the height or reach you need to get

the
engine out of a boat.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Before you do anything..... Check the rotation of the engine! It is
possible that your engine rotates the opposite direction of the standard
automobile engine, which would certainly change your shortblock decision.

Rod McInnis