___m___~Пе____m___

Default Not about boats.... *is* about newsreaders....

thunder wrote:

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 01:41:17 +0000, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:

I sort of agree with you on that. However, what techheads might think
of as being a good idea, isn't always a good idea. What techheads
might think of as perfectly comprehensible and/or intuitive is
gibberish to a user. And that is the real problem with open source
because you have the same technoids messing around with what should be
a simple concept and all have differing ideas about how stuff should
work.

Yeah, but . . . Most open source software works quite well out of the box,
being configurable is a major plus. Open source software may not be for
everyone, but I love it. Anytime I am forced to use a Microsoft product,
I find it very limiting and frustrating. With open source I can set up my
system as I want to, not as Microsoft thinks I should.

It's also a somewhat concept becuase it is "open source" only to those
who understand the coding structure - thus the end results will be the
same.

As the code is readily available, you can go that deeply, but it is by no
means necessary. Open source has come a long way and allows many choices.
It may not be your choice, but it is the choice of a growing number of
users.

Thunder, You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
Let them spread the virus' that you and I don't worry about.
My only suggestion would be, those that have kids that might want to let
them try a different operating system get a copy of Knoppix that runs from
the CD drive and puts nothing on their hard drive, just to see what the
difference looks and feels like. It's based on Debian Linux, that I'm sure
you know. I too like Pan as a news reader, but set up Knode on laptop.
What most people don't realize is they can install it on the same hard drive
(different Partition) that windows(tm) is on and boot to either system.
They could put a stop to many of the virus' by only using Linux to connect
to the internet for mail/news and surfing the net.
By the way, when I bought my laptop I had to argue with the tech that
checked it out before I recieved it, that I didn't want to put, or purchase
virus scanning software, because XP would never get connected to the net or
updated. I still don't have virus software, not had a 'puter virus. Three
'puters networked for file, printer and internet connection sharing.

I have ordered CD's from these folks without any problems if you or the kids
want to try Knoppix out. Keep in mind that it runs slow because of the
speed of the CD drive not being as fast as a hard drive and it is
decompessing about 2gb of software on the fly as it runs. The more RAM,
the better.

http://tinyurl.com/36yom

or Google, "knoppix"
Or download the ISO image and burn your own copy for the price of the blank
disc.

I read all the "been there done that" You should try it again. Not as hard
as it used to be.

If you want what I think is the easiest to install on hard drive get this.

http://tinyurl.com/2kaz2

Not the latest version, but easy to use.
I converted from windows(tm). I enjoy Linux and feel I know what "open
source" is really about.
--