William R. Watt

Terry Spragg ) writes:
wrote:

we can use some sort of mesh or something to get the cement to hold a
shape, but it cannot be wood, or something else that would provide
buoyancy that way.

Dig a hole in the ground, line it with plastic, drive in some pins
to position rebar or position chainlink fencing for reinforcement,
plaster or even spray on concrete. Make it into a basement for a
floating house with several compartments, wait for spring floods to
launch.

It's also been done upside down. Pile up some wet sand and sculpt the boat
you want, cover that with burlap or something (I forget the details,
plaster over smoothly with wet cement mixed with beach sand (mortar),
cover with plastic sheeting (you want to keep the water in while the
cement cures), and when it cures turn turn it over and drag it down to the
water. I read aqbout this being done by someone who could not transport a
boat to a waterside vacation spot. The cement boat was left behind after
the vacation for the use of local residents. Claimed it was a success.
Note that cement has to remain moist to cure. If it dries out before it
cures it will crumble into pieces.

Piling up the sand might be better than digging down in wet locations
where a hole would fill with water. Just a thought.

homepage:
www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm