Bruce in Alaska

In article ,
beryl george wrote:

Can any one give guidance or know of a possible
internet download that might help in the initial
manual settings of tune, pulse width, gain,
sea and rain clutter.

The controls seem so inter-reactory, by their
adjustment to my eye identical echo images are
displayed. Even with tune I cannot really
determine any great changes.

There must be some logical progression to make
these adjustments rather than my constant tweaking,
all guidance greatly received.

Beryl.

Most commercial Marine Radars do not have user adjustable
Pulsewidth Controls. They usually just pick two or three
Plusewidths, designed for that Modulator/Range Switch Setting
and leave it at that. Also, there are big differences in todays Radars,
that use digital displays, than the analog displays of 20 years ago,
and these can effect the adjustments your asking about.

In most cases Rain Clutter should be left at minimum, unless you are
actually painting a Rain Squall. Sea Clutter will also be set at some
minimum setting, untill Sea Return from local (2 miles or less) waves
begins to mask close in targets. I always liked to run the RF Gain
at a level where the Noise Sparkles are just slightly noticeable. This
would be for an analog display of yesteryear, but with LogRythemic
Receivers. Modern Digital Displays are a bit different and I don't have
enough time on them, to have an opinion. Tuning is a function of
Magnitron Age, and the radar should be setup, so as the Tuning Peak is
in the center of the Tuning Range of the External Control. This will
drift over time (100's of hours) as the Magnitron ages, but the Tuning
Peak can be moved back to the center of the External Control, by
readjusting an internal control in most display units.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @