Big Mike

I hear this happens quite often on fishing vessels. That many Captains and
Mates, especially Mates on watch as the Cap catches some zzzz's, fall asleep
themselves while steaming ahead on Auto-pilot. I'm ashamed to say that I
have been drowsy many times behind the wheel of the car. Sometimes I pull
over and sometimes I putt ahead. Many times wondering how I made it to my
destination. I can only imagine how often this happens out in the deep sea
where traffic is next to nothing. No excuse though to take falling asleep
behind the helm for granted or acceptable..... There is always that 1
iceberg that seems to always find the right ship at the right time.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"DSK" wrote in message
. ..

It's happened. Off the coast of New Jersey a 60-footer ran over a fishing
boat and killed one of the men on board, while the owner of the 60-footer
was said to not even be above decks (he claimed he was, but was looking
down "momentarily").

Now THAT is ridiculous. I guess I'm paranoid, but I can't imagine EVER
leaving the helm of a moving boat unless another competent person (or my
insane son) took my place while I was away.