I never implied that Harry said anything about Chavez. Harry does seem
to be an apologist for Castro. Basically, his argument is that Castro
is better than Batista. Is that it Harry, pretty lame. My dog could
rule Cuba better than Batista. Of course this is a false argument
presented as if it was a choice between Batista and Castro. Why not
have a Cuba with a modern economy and freedom? Castro is nothing more
than a Stalinist dinosaur. He's a Caribbean Kim Jong Il.
My dog could also run the Venezulean economy better than it was run
before Chavez but htis does not mean Chavez is good. I'll withhold
judgement on Chavez for a year or two since any reasonable person
should have a healthy skepticism about lefty regimes considering the
number of deaths they have caused.
Chavez might accomplish a few positive things but will not produce
fundamental change. From what I saw there, the problems lie in the
culture where there is no cultural room for a middle class. The upper
class looks down on the lower class as if they were less than dirt and
social mobility is assumed to be impossible. The only way a lower
class person can do well there is to leave and then come back
successful.
Unfortunately, Chavez does not seem to be wise enough to really do
well. A wise man would sweet talk the 800 lb gorilla next door while
selling him bananas, not making the gorilla wish he could squash
him....Chavez's heart might be in the right place, but hes an idiot.