Jim

Default Newbie needs explanation of Hunter wing keel

First of all, I am new here and brand new to sailing. I was recently
given a 20-year old Hunter 23 that has "the infamous wing keel". (Its
former owner was given an ultimatum by his 'mate' and told that he
could either keep her or the boat...and he figured that it was cheaper
to keep her. Thus I became the owner of a sailboat. (I know that
acquiring a boat before you have much on-water experience violates one
of the basic tenets of sailing....however, what's a guy to do when he
is GIVEN a sailboat.

While I have always had a big desire to learn to sail and to own a
sailboat, I have just now had the opportunity to do so. I have read
quite a bit and I will attend a Basic Keel Boat class in September.)
Over the last couple of years, I have read a few books and a number of
articles on sailing but there are many things that remain a mystery to
me. One of them is the wing(ed) keel, its purpose, and how it works.
Can someone explain it. Thanks in advance. Jim