Meindert Sprang

"Kees Verruijt" wrote in message

If it's 10Hz that's as quick as any of the other compasses send out
data, and plenty fast enough. Whether the heading data it reports has
the desired accuracy is up to you.

My shot would be to give it a try first; you can always throw more money
at the problem later.

Note that you should give the fast heading data a separate serial input,
as it's likely to overwhelm other data if you try to share it using a
NMEA multiplexer (this happened to me).

Now I am curious: which type of multiplexer was that?
The reason is ask is this: I have seen this problem too with my
multiplexers, and have therefore added a so called "real-time" option on
the -42 models, which effectively bypasses the internal NMEA buffer for that
channel. This removes the delay on the heading signal that otherwise would
build up, up to 20 seconds.

Raymarine has extensively tested this feature on a boat, moving at 40 knots
and still following a GPS route automatically, where the a fast heading
sensor was used to keep the radar north-up. The GPS, heading sensor and
wind/depth instruments were all coupled through the my multiplexer to an E
series chart plotter.

Meindert