Brian Nystrom

Hi,

what is the best way/product to clean up and
restore shine of fiberglass that is a bit dull,
i.e. the topsides of an older fiberglass boat?
Possibly without too much polishing?

It depends on how bad the damage is. If it's really superficial, one of
the commercial "restorer/renewer" products may be enough, but will still
require buffing. If the damage is bad, wet sanding with 320-1200 grit
followed by buffing may be necessary in order to remove the damaged
gelcoat and get down to the original color. While I've done this on
kayaks and the results were pretty amazing, I wouldn't want to have to
do it on a larger boat, as it's a LOT of HAND work.