Franz Eckert

Okay Larry, let me tell you my story.

Here in Demark we pay so many taxes, that we have to do everything ourselves
:-)

For 5 years ago i bought a old military coast control boat.
30 feet, 5 tons, two Mercedes 180 installed.

I was happy, my own boat, yappiiii.

But then the engines began to fail, they were old, very old. I took out one,
and send it for a complete overhaul.
That costs me in the area of 2000 Dollars. NO MORE i said.
So when the second began to fail, and was due to a overhaul, i simply took
out the old engines, and then started
to remove all the old wood that was rotten. One thing lead to another, ans
soon i was standig there with a 30 foot
open rowboat. Everything was rotten. I had to reinforce the bow with 10
layers og glasfiber, because there was
absolutely no wood underneath.
At the same time i removed about 15 pipes through the hull, they were of no
use, and i don't know what they ever where there for.
So i started looking around for some suitable engines (cheap), and found two
Golf Diesel 1.6 liters on the Internet, they costs me about 80 $.
It took me (and a friend) about 2 months making my gears fit on the new
engines, but finally we succeded.
Then i started rebuilding the entire boat, completely new interior, and new
top.
It has taken me almost 3 years, and i am still not done yet.
The gears were of the type with a loooong gearchange handle, so usual morse
cable would not hold for long ( i had already broken 3).
So i thought that maybe air pressure and one air piston on each gear maybe
could do the trick. And despite what everybody told me, i made it work.
I also had to make a new fuel tank. There were two in the old days, but they
flowed from one tank to the other, in a 1/4 inch hose, that took about 1
hour before they leveled out. The fuel outlet was in the bottom of the tank,
so my filters keept getting real dirty.
Almost everything was made by peoble that had absolutely no idear about what
they were doing. So redoing the boat was a good idear, it has become much
stronger and reliable, and now i know exactly how everything is put
together.

So now i can enjoy sailing again, but there still needs a lot of finishing
touch to the boat.
Tell me, just to make me real ****ty overhere, what is the comon price on
two used disel engines, around 70-100 HP, with gear and everything?

If you like i can send you a link to some pictures that illustrates me
rebuilding the boat.

Wkr
Franz

"Larry" skrev i en meddelelse
"Franz Eckert" wrote in
. dk:

That should do the trick, don't you think?

Wkr
Franz

My friend, Dan, had a Hatteras 56 motor yacht with twin Detroit Diesel
9V92TA beasts turning 32", 4-bladed wheels. I used to call it "The Train"
because of its 32 volt electrical system, like a train. The engines were
735hp each with the twin turbochargers, one on each bank of 4 cylinders on
each engine.

One day I was "cleaning out the soot" about 5 miles offshore in the
Atlantic from the main helm below and Dan happen to catch a glimpse of the
dual-reading Flowscan flow meters. I thought he was going to have a heart
attack when he saw how HIGH I could make them read "cleaning out the
soot".
Kay, his wife, thought it was wonderful as she came up on her plane steady
as a rock from the Naiad Stabilizers I had repaired a couple of weeks
previous. (Blown fuse buried under the engine room false decking.)
"Geez!", he exclaimed. "I didn't know you could make them read THAT
HIGH!", he kept on over the roar of nearly 1500 hp of 2-stroke diesel
power.

I miss his boat. I spent many weekends in its bilge fixing the twin
gensets (8KVA and 20KVA Onans), 5 zone air conditioners, dual Galley Maid
water pumps and their controls that never worked. It took hours to pump
the green frog water out of the main fresh water tanks after i got them
running. That water had been growing in there for years! They were like
trying to fill a swimming pool with a garden hose...

After he sold it, Kay said she was going to buy us a big diesel engine on
stand and put it in their new garage to make us happy....(c;

--
Larry