Steve

Wow! What a brain Fart!

I have been using the sail term 'clew' when I really meant 'TACK' ..

I really know the difference and want to correct my error before the whole
group Flames Me!

Steve

"Steve" wrote in message
Nah! To answer both:

You can only hoist two sails on the foil it you attach them both to the
upper swivel at the same time. What a mess if you tried to hoist the
second one on a separate halyard.

The Harken (my model) has a swivel at the head of the sail and one just
above the furler drum. This allows the foil to be rotated and take in the
sail by its luff tape. (drum drives the foil, not the clew/head swivel)
This makes for a better setting luff when partially reefed down.

A sail that is reefed down by simply rotating the clew and head (and luff
tape tension) will have a baggy shaped luff due to the loose sail material
just behind the luff tape.

IMHO. A modern roller furler that is to act as a roller reefing system
should have a head swivel and a clew swivel for the reasons stated.

My opinion, FWIW.

Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"Aleck" wrote in message
Hi guys,

The answer is much simpler than you might expect. If you were racing
boys
then you would know that the twin foil is used to change a head sail size
whilst under way without loss of down time. i.e. hoist it inside the
existing head sail. Why don't they just reef?? I hear you say. Well
you'd
spoil the leading edge into the wind with a bulky roll of sail. Me, I
just
cruise with a single track roller reefing set up.

regards Aleck

"Gordon" wrote in message
Most jib systems have two slots for 2 sails. How many cruisers
actually
use 2 jibs that often. Why don't the makers make single slot options
(besides Profurl)?
Gordon

--

Ask not for whom the terrorist bell tolls; it tolls for thee, and thee,

and
thee--for decent, innocent people everywhere.