Steve

Considering what everyone else has suggested, I would suggest verifying that
the sail was made to the proper foot measurement.

If you don't have the original sail plan, then consider how your boat is
currently sailing. Perhaps you may want that extra 6" the next time you have
a new sail made. Check all this out before you cut the extra length off. You
could regret it at some future date.

I made the mistake of cutting several inches off my boom. Being overly
concerned about my main boom hitting the radar arch (if the topping lift
were too slack when I drop the sail). Now I could use a couple more inches
for the clew outhaul.

--
My experience and opinion, FWIW

--
Steve
s/v Good Intentions

"John Smith" wrote in message
I have a 13' sail boat (starwing). The boom is 6" longer than it has to
be.
Is there any reason not to cut it back? Sure, 6" inches isn't all that
much, but I figure it would be better shorter.

The only drawback I can think of is that I could not use a sail longer
than
the original, but figure the odds of ever having to do that is slim. (the
sails are in better condition than the hull.)

So, should I cut the boom down, or is it being destructive?