Short Wave Sportfishing

Default Not about boats.... *is* about newsreaders....

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 14:41:52 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

news

~~ snippity do da ~~

I read somewhere that in Explorer (since the advent of Explorer),
people only use 30% of the functions available to them - everything
else is overhead.

The reason was explained as "too complicated".

Strange, isn't it? Have you ever done a custom installation of MS Office?

No, but my last computer experience, which caused me to retire in 1994
from over stress resulting in RA, was an installation in which I was
tasked as division manager to find and implement a "document" system
that needed to do a ton of stuff - interface between three different
software systems on machine tools, CAD graphics package, a visual
illustration package, word processing at an advanced level and the
ability to print documents, colate, staple, etc.

Six months of work I finally managed to get a system that worked - it
was perfect - the interfaces worked, the graphics package was amazing,
the CAD package was seamless and the major contractor for the project
came in 20% UNDER the budget and not only that, but installed it on a
half payment just to make sure the whole thing worked as we wanted.
The dea of a lifetime and I still talk about them as being the best in
the business - this was the best, almost perfect, system.

About about a month of shakedown, I get a call from the VP in the
mid-west - he's flying out east to look at our package. Great. He
arrives, we arrange a demo, did a really complicated graphics grab
using the three different milling machine controllers, finagled it
with the illustration package, join it all up, did a cover and
produced a finished product for him to look at. He's impressed.

Then he tells us that he has purchased a document system from another
manufacturer and that this deal was done - to have everything removed
from the building because the new equipment was coming in two weeks.

I screamed bloody murder - I even called the President of the company
and bitched to him for a half hour, but couldn't get him to interfer -
the deal was done.

What I am going to say is the honest to god truth.

The sales engineer was banging the VP AND the President and that's how
the sale was made.

Cost the company 42% percent more than the original equipment, it
couldn't do what they said it would, was constantly broken and just
generally sucked.

I quit the week it was installed.

I'm still using Office 2000, and I've installed it perhaps 20 times on
various machines. There must be 50 customization options in categories such
as text/graphics converters, languages, spell checkers, and mathematical
add-ins for Excel. You can eliminate the installation of that &$#%* paper
clip beast, and completely crush Find Fast, which is an abomination.

But, MS says it's too complicated to permit a custom installation of
Explorer? :-)

Your example of "save" and "save as" is a perfect example. Why do you
need two save functions? Why not just have save? A little "window"
pops up and the default is what the file was named offering you the
opportunity to change the name or not. Why "save as"?

"Save As" is very handy when you want to save an existing file under a
second name. I do that often when I need to send a file to someone who
thinks about file names differently than I do. My outgoing product offers
are sequential, like Offer_Kroger_Feb02_04.XLS. This makes too much sense to
the monkeys at my home office, who prefer a name like
OkRg-kelLog_revisedbobsSheet-8.xls. :-) Real example. Not kidding.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Sure, you can start Windows Explorer, find the file, and copy it, but most
of the time, I'm already running 9 programs, most of which are memory pigs.
If I start one more, Windows go boom.

Understood.

Well, I really don't care anymore and I don't understand how I got
sucked into this discussion. I have a love/hate relationship with
computers.

Oh well.

This winter has been too freakin' long.

Later,

Tom
S. Woodstock, CT

"To the fisherman born there is nothing
so provoking of curiosity as a fishing rod
in a case."

Roland Pertwee, "The River God" (1928)