FLiP

Brian
We have just returned from a weekend of camping 2 nights 1 day canoeing
on the Shenandoah River out of Luray VA. Started on the river around 9:30
got out around 3:00. This was a family trip with the youngest 10 years old
and the oldest was 65 years old. We rented 8 canoes from Shenandoah River
Outfitters. We opted for just the canoes but if you want you can do the
Steak and Canoe, canoe rental, lunch on the river and diner at their
facilities. They also rent kayaks, matter of fact saw several families
kayaking with young ones, about 10 or 11.
We stayed over on US 340 2 miles north of Luray at Country Waye camp
ground. Fabulous camp ground with a great view of 2 mountain ranges. As to
views above ground you have the Skyline Drive and for underground views
nearby are the Luray Caverns. If you prefer none formal camping the
outfitters have a tent camping area in the trees behind their office. By the
way it is better than it sounds.
Luray is located 1 1/2 to 2 hours west of Washington D.C. via I66 to
Front Royal VA. and then south on US 340.

Regardless of where you go be sure to call in advance for the river
conditions.

Hope this helps.

Frank